Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"My Backpack Is Not The Heaviest Thing I''m Carrying Today!"

This week an article from the Washington Post appeared numerous times on my Facebook feed.

I you haven't seen the article, 'I wish my teacher knew' it is great! Tugs at the heart strings, reminds you of your purpose and is a good conversation starter among educators.

Giving student's needs assessments gives them the opportunity to tell us their stories anonymously. It empowers students to be honest and raw, while they help us do our job better, by knowing how to advocate for them. We discover what services are most important for their success and how we can provide it.

Often as a school counselor, I would hear students stories and knew the background information affecting their performance at school. However, I often found it difficult to transmit student needs
and issues into a message. A message for parents and teachers to consider and reflect upon.

Sharing this article with your staff, faculty and parents may help you communicate the burdens students walk into our buildings everyday carrying. I think many of our student are telling us, "My backpack is not the heaviest thing I'm carrying today!"

So I ask you...are you asking questions? Are you giving students a voice and a place to lay the burden down? Are you allowing those voices to be heard? If so, I unfortunately hope what you hear breaks your heart! I hope it makes you unable to stand for the injustice and in turn you take action. I hope you help them feel welcome at school. You start that lunch group to address anger, coping skills and positive thinking. I hope you build that clothing and basic needs closet you've been thinking about. Because whatever challenge your students face, you are the best resource to help them navigate to a better place. I'd even bet that's why you got into this education thing in the first place!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing information. I am so glad that I found this.
    I got many information here. Thank You....help myself blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete